Thursday, December 24, 2009

Wrap It Up and Give It Away!

So many thought distractions keep coming up (and that's all they are - distractions of the enemy). Thoughts like, here I am at another Christmas without any money. Here I am without a significant other but with an over-abundance of relatives that don't seem to care about this most important holiday. Why can't they be in the spirit like I am? Deck the halls and all that jazz.

Ok, so here we are. Now what? Wait a minute. What I want to know is where is the White Christmas that has been my fantasy since I was a little fat kid growing up in the 50's? Remember the movies of white people (Yes, I said it. I'm talking about the 50's here.) hustling to and fro all bundled up with their bright holiday packages and the tree tied to the top of the car? That smell of pine and cinnamon spice, candles flickering and the manger scene that is dug out year after year lest we forget the reason for the season.

What is this all about? My sister is having issues. My niece is having issues. My brothers are having issues and I am at a loss as to what to do about it. My offers of prayer with them go unheeded but I continue to pray for them and, "Good grief, Charlie Brown. What is up with that tree?"

Many of us as children couldn't make any sense out of the season other than what gift we might be getting that might end up being broken before we went back to school from winter break. Did we somehow learn to equate the insanity of it all with the celebration of the season?

So here we all are. We are adults with a whole lot of unreal expectations about this holiday. Not always are our insecurities being reflected in the amount of money we have or don't have to spend. Our true messed-up-ed-ness springs forth in our continual search for the perfect peach cobbler, the perfect Christmas goose and our on-going fantasy that this year we will indeed have that Beaver Cleaver family around the table, "can't we all just get along?" kind of day.

Underneath it all we are afraid that we are not going to get what we really want: happiness. We search and seek and pursue that illusive thing. Yet we pursue a happiness that is as much a fantasy as me looking for my White Christmas. What would happen if we let it all go? What would happen if we really believed the scripture that we are told over and over again, "Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again." (Luke 6:38 KJV) All too often this wonderful bit of scripture is used to get people to pay their tithes and offerings ONLY. What would happen if we had the kind of faith that understands this same principle applies to giving happiness on purpose? What if we flipped the script and stopped expecting to get something out of this holiday instead of giving something - friendship, love, joy, peace, happiness, time.

What would happen if we all found the creative spirit within us and discovered the myriad ways that we can make somebody else's life better? Not all of us are going to go out into the trenches to make the world a better place on a grand scale. Reachng out to another in need is still our mission on this earth, you know. I know of people that seem to have it all materially but are empty spiritually. What would happen if this Christmas we spread the happiness we find through our faith in Jesus Christ? Would we not see an increase in our own happiness, a deepening of our own faith?

Come on, Sis, write that Christmas message and send it to everybody on your email list or post on Facebook. It ain't silly. Somebody just might need to hear what you have to say. Come on, Brother, write that poem and send it out to everybody you know. Buy somebody a cup of coffee. Put some money in the red bucket in front of WalMart. Be kind, be loving, be happy. It is contagious and what you'll get back is beyond measure.

My prayer for this Christmas:
Dear Lord, I honor you with all of my praise for I realize that I am nothing without you. Release me from the burden of self. Where I fall short, lift me and deliver me. Work on my areas of unforgiveness so that you may forgive me of all of my mess. Let my brother, my sister, know that their lives do have meaning and they do have purpose. Show them words of love are important, smiles can light the darkest of darkness and transparency is essential to the development of strong relationships within our homes, our churches and on our jobs. Help us to be honest with each other and with ourselves so that we may fully understand happiness. And once we have gotten this wonderous thing called happiness, let us not hesitate to give it away. Almighty God, please strengthen this movement to keep Christ in Christmas. In Jesus' name, I pray.

Debi Mason
Spoken Word Ministries, 2009
Oakland, California, USA

No comments: